Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Processor board

Status
Not open for further replies.

smaxted

Vendor
Jun 16, 2002
CA
If you have a dual processor motherboard does that mean that if you had 2 300mhz processors, you'd be running 600mhz? IF not whats the point of dual processors?

no you wont be running at 600 mhz, if i understand correctly dual processors are good because they will share the proccesses with each other, so say they will each do half of a process so in theory it will take half the time to do that process in, im not 100% sure on that but i am 100% sure that someone else in this forum is

hope this help, and that im right (im at least close arent i)???

You also need a SMB-compatible OS in order for the second CPU to do anything at all - Windows NT, Win 2000 Pro and XP Pro - other versions don't support the second processor and it will just sit idle.

You also need SMB-enabled software, like PhotoShop. These programs launch separate or multiple execution threads for some operations and the OS will assign the new thread to the second CPU.

Your mileage may vary...

In short, a dual 1GHz CPU pc will not perform identically or better than a 2GHz CPU by itself. Like dinosnake mentioned, applications like Photoshop are coded to take advantage of SMP. Not all processes in Windows will use both CPU's equally. So when one CPU is overworked, the other one may only get a little work that's spilled over. Unless the app knows the 2nd CPU is there, there's hardly ever any real advantage.

The best thing about dual-CPU rigs is "multi-tasking". You can have dozens of apps/windows open at once without hardly slowing your pc...
ck_blk@yahoo.com

Dinosnake is somewhat mistaken. Windows 2000 and even NT are both SMP capable and will effectively utilize a second processor if configured to do so and you are utilizing SMP capable applications.

he did mentioned Photoshop, also other like Autodesk 3D Inventor.

you can actually assign processes to a cpu if you like
when you do that, perfect SCSI RAID need to use to help or else you will waste your money

According to Microsoft XP Pro. will utilize dual processors on it's own. It does not require apps built for multiple processors. I have not tried it yet as the only dual processors we have are servers and are running WIN2K Server.

textodd,

I think you misread dinosnake's post. He was listing examples of SMP-compatible OS's when he said "Windows NT, Win 2000 Pro and XP Pro". You've got to pause before reading the rest:

"[all] other versions don't support the second processor and it will just sit idle"

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back