Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual PIX 515 firewalls for redundancy and load balancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekt1p5

MIS
Mar 16, 2004
US
I currently have 2 connections to 2 ISPs using HSRP .I have a PIX 515.I’m using PAT and a few static translations. I purchased a second PIX 515 with an unrestricted license. What I really want to achieve is load balancing and redundancy without user intervention. (Q.1) Can I install a second PIX parallel to the 1st PIX and connect it to the same outside router or switch to create another independent pipe instead of having it just sitting there as a failover unit. (Q.2)Do I configure the same static translations on both PIXs and (Q.3) if so how will the inbound traffic decide which PIX to use?

the failover firewall will be just that. It will sit in the background and wait for the other one to go down. If this happens it will take over all of the traffic. This does not require any user intervention

It cannot do load balancing - you'll need routers to do that.

tonymullen,

I understand how failover works.That is the one thing I DONT want to implement.I want to set up the second PIX as an independent firewall as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back