Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual OS Readable Drive Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoggbottom59

Technical User
Jul 30, 2001
GB
I am thinking of having another with Linux when I reconfigure my computer.

The thing is I want a dual-booting hard drive with Win2k and Linux. I want to put all my data on a massive second drive. This second drive I'd like to able to be readable by Windows/Linux and Mac.

Probably asking too much - which would be the best hd system to be read by all?? Fat32?

Any help,
Thanks Leon.

FAT32 Partition would probally be the best bet since Mac and Linux already read it.

Dave
ToeShot@Hotmail.com
Today Is Tomorrows Yesterday. So Why Wait

I currently have MacOS 8.6, I know this can read FAT32 but
I assume the new MacOS X (that I intend to eventually upgrade to) can read NTFS though.

I have been told that Linux can only read currently not write to NTFS. I assume the next version will be able to write to it?

Thanks for the help,
Leon.

The NTFS development under Linux is going very slowly. For the last 5-6 years it has been read only, so don't get your hope up, you'll probably have to wait another 2-3 years (or more).

FAT is the best bet.

Cheers

Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back