Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual NICs, should resolve to one IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dblaine

Technical User
Jul 28, 2002
CA
Hi Folks,

I have a query, I havea server with name "vertex". The domain is "resource.com". My server vertex has two NICs. One is Global IP and other is Local IP.

Now when i ping either vertex or vertex.resource.com on the server vertex it should resolve to only GlobalIP.

At present it is resolving to local IP. I should not change any dns settings since the local clients should interact to the server vertex with local only.

Actually there is a third party application running on my Vertex server, and it will work on global ip only, but when it tries to resolve the name vertex/vertex.iqresource.com it is retriving the localIP.

I think you understood my problem, I had already tried the lmhosts file too, but could not find the solution.

Any suggestions or help is highly appreciated, as my application is really in a bag stage.

Ty
Dblaine

Its just for the server. Clients that will continue to connect as they always have...

The nic listed first will be used first when the server tries to communicate.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Try this:
I just did it on one of my dual NIC machines and it works.

To change the binding order, select Settings, Network and Dial-up Connections from the Start menu. Select Advanced Settings from the Advanced menu. You can change the NIC order in the Adapters and Binding tab. Win2K will check, load, bind, or register the top NIC first

just curious, did you do flush the DNS cache on the machine after editing the host file? If the host file fix does not work, this would be the first server i've seen in existence that resolves DNS before the Hosts file.

~Intruder~

"The Less You Do, The Less Can Go Wrong" :)

Hi FOlks,

still nothing has worked for me,any more suggestions,

In the mean time i was working on the application and found another way by which my application can work, but even for that i need your valuable help,

Now what I require is instead of resolving the vertex, i want to resolve the domain to global ip.
Even My domain resource.com had a local and global ip.It is only my DNS server too.
When i ping my domain from vertex server, it resolves to local ip.

Now when i Ping iqresource from my vertex server it should resolve to the global ip. All this should happen only on the vertex server, no other servers or clients should be effected.

Regards,
Dblaine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back