Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual NIC/Networks Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlashway

IS-IT--Management
Dec 14, 2007
I have a exchange server that I have a static IP for and I need to be able to communitcate with it on my interenal network as well. Currently I have 2 NICs in it, one with the 192.168.1.* network assigning a IP (due to dual gateways not being allowed) and plugged into a router, the other NIC has the static IP plugged into the providers setup. Things run ok but on a regular bases I am having to repair the NIC (in Windows 2003, right click on connection and do repair) and then it works. If I do not do this I can not see the server from the outside, no web page is visible, once I complete the repair I can see the web page fine. How can I resolve this.
Please help, any changes can be made, I just need this to run smoothly.

A couple of questions...

1.) Do you have static IPs for both nics? You listed the internal one, but is the "dmz/public" one static as well?

2.) Is there a special purpose for having your server multihomed? You can usually (depending on how your network is setup) setup your router or firewall to use NAT and forward smtp, http and https to your exchange server which would leave you with only needing one NIC.

I only have a static on the external, which is public, the internal I have obtaining the IP automatically.

I have dual nics mainly because I thought I needed to have the IP of the public bound on the card for sending mail as well as recieving it.

So you are saying if I bind the public on the router and then from there go to the exchange that exchange will still send email because it mainly relys on DNS for sending ?

I tried setting the static on the router but when I tried to access it the forward would not go, it just left me on the routers login page ?

Ok, if I try to connect from external sources it works, is there a way to make internal connections to the same web page to go the web page and not the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back