Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual-NIC Backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

benace

IS-IT--Management
Apr 8, 2003
US
Hey All-

I have a cluster of 11 Win2k servers performing various functions on my network. They are all on one medium-sized switched network, all on the same subnet. Each server has two NICs, the second of each currently not being used (we had planned on doing some NIC teaming, but decided against).

I was wondering how I can better utilize the second NIC in each machine to perform backups without disturbing traffic flow on the rest of my network. Here's my thought:

I have a spare 3COM SuperStack switch. I would like to connect all of the 2nd NICs to that stand-alone switch, with a subnet address different from the live network. I would like any backups performed to use the 2nd NICs, and thus keeping heavy utilization only to the extra network and not bothering my live network.

Hardware isn't an issue, my question is: how do I force ArcServe to backup a cluster of servers via a particular NIC? The servers will exist on both networks, with two different IP addresses. From what I can tell, ARCServe only recognizes NetBIOS names, not IP addresses.

Any thoughts??

Btw: I'm running ArcServe2000 on a Win2k box, backing up via MSNetwork nightly (~250gb).

Thanks!

-ben

Ben McMahon
IT Administrator
Perry's Ice Cream
carb_banner.jpg

Use the client agents since they can be configure to use a spcific IP address via the client admin.

On the server side:

use regedt32.exe

go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\ARCserveIT\Base\Taskhighlight Task and do an Edit Add Key
Key Name: LANCard
Class: <leave this blank>
hightlight LANCard and do an Edit Add Value
Value Name: UseDefault
Data Type: REG_DWORD
click OK
Data: 0
Value Name: NumberOfCards
Data Type: REG_DWORD
click OK
Data: <number of cards>
Value Name: Card1
Data Type: REG_SZ

If you utilise the "Client Agent for ARCserve" you can configure it to use a different IP.

You should be using this anyway to ensure the system state is backed up correctly

with new arcserve 9 & above you can select which NIC you want to perform the backup this can be done from client agent GUI no need to do it from registry which is waste of time.

Hi,

- Another way to do it is to implement a NetBIOS alias (different than the hostname) on the NIC witch the backup must run.
- Do not forget to update the DNS suffix of the NIC
- Backup on the alias name.

Exemple:
Hostname: SERVER
IP: 10.10.6.1

Create allias: SERVER_NICB (Update Registry also to register NetBIOS Alias)
Add DNS suffix on the connection: SERVER_NICB.MYDOM.COM
Connect on the AliasName and you'll be routed to the second NIC

I implemented this at home and it works fine

If it can help ;o)

Fredje

Thanks! We have had a great deal of problems with the agents locking files on our terminal servers, so we've gotten away from using it. However, I didn't even think of the NetBIOS names! Good call!

-ben (another satisifed customer)

Ben McMahon
Perry's Ice Cream
Network Administrator
ben.mcmahon@perrysicecream.com
perriwinkle_pops.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back