Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Networks on one PC w/ Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

wncads

Vendor
Nov 1, 1999
US
I need to install two network cards on one PC with Windows 98 SE installed. One card will need an assigned IP address and the other will need to use DHCP to obtain its IP address for internet access through a proxy server. Anyone done this before? What issues am I going to run into and is my thinking correct? I feel like this can be done but would appreciate comments from others.....

Thanks,
Keith
keith@aplusnetworking.com

why dont you just manually put the IP address of your machine ( with one NIC) into the Proxy Server ? If in doubt get the Ball Pein Hammer out

The proxy server has to be on two different networks. Not just one or that is what I would do. Both networks have different subnets and a different class of IP addresses.

Go for it. Any problems you run across will be simple to resolve. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Edfair: are you saying that I am correct and can assign two different NICS with two different subnets to the two different cards on the one CPU? And each nic will know how to route its own traffic. One of the NICS will be looking at a router to the internet via live connection FRAME RELAY, while the other NIC will be looking at a LAN for all its communications. Will the dedicated software for the LAN route sufficiently as well as the dedicated software which much use the net for its traffic??

Thanks,
Keith
keith@aplusnetworking.com

In general thats what I'm saying. NICs don't know diddly. You tell NICS what they are supposed to do.
As far as the details, those I can't remember. They are cached somewhere in the mind, but I've been flooded with higher IRQs and right now the brain is flooded with unix thoughts. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I did just what you are asking about 2 years ago when I got my cable modem. I used Sygate 3.0 as my DHCP server software...it took care of keeping the two subnets talking. I have 2 NIC's in my "server" computer; one that is connected directly to the cable modem, using the IP address given to me by the cable company; and the second is connected to a hub with 4 other computers, on my "private" subnet. Each NIC has it's own IP address.

I had no problems setting it up, and it has been stable ever since.

Check out
Alternatively, get one of those new Cable/DSL routers...it has the advantage of not needing to have a "server" turned on all the time.

good luck,
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back