Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Network Card Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

site4sure

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a minor problem with my Win2k workstation. I moved my gigabit network card that was in my machine (this one) into my server since I got a gigabit switch. Now I have two network cards in my computer and I am having a problem with it. I keep getting this message when I sign on or boot up that say "Duplicate Name on Network." I have looked on M$ $upport Web Site and have found nothing to help me. Ideas?

-Chris

Hi,

Well the only name on the network should be of my computer. I think what is happening is that my first NIC is registering with my WINS and then the second one goes to and it wont allow it. This is just and thought. I dont know. Any ideas?

-Chris

Are the cards connected to the same segment? Why do you need two cards?

The message you are getting is because the computer sees itself on the network. This will happen ALWAYS when both network cards have the same subnet. This will happen, however, even if they have different subnets. you SHOULD be able to function normally, but yuo will always get this error (i get it on the proxy server at the office) all the time, but everything (iis, etc) works properly. The only thing you have to know is how to find the answer.

If you need them on the same subnet you could use a virtual IP address on one card.

using 2 nic's on the same subnet will, theoretically, double your bandwidth from the computer onto the network. with 2 nic's running on a lan, you can, for example, setup your SQL server to use one network card, and any file sharing/ IIS traffic to use the other one. this would give your sql dedicated 100 mbs (or 10mbs, whatever your network does) If you used a virtual IP, the bandwidth would be shared, so sql would have to share bandwidth with all other traffic. a LOT of publishing/graphics studios use this method. one NIC in each computer goes to the main file server, the other to the main print server. The only thing you have to know is how to find the answer.

I don't think he is coming back :) From what he said, he has one computer on the network, the one with two nics. So I can't imagine he needs much load balancing, but who knows.

Hi,

Thank you everyone for your replies. I would actually like to keep two of them in here. My other workstation is almost identical to this one, but this one has a faster processor and it has dual network cards and it doesnt have a problem at all. I have DHCP server running for these other work stations and my server has a static IP. I would like to use both of them since my server is connected to my switch at gigabit.

Just keep them both in there, there really is no solution to the problem you are having, because the machine is seeing itself on the network. this is normal, and everything will function without problem The only thing you have to know is how to find the answer.

If it weren't for users, computers would work just fine....If computers worked I'd be unemployed!

Hi,

The only problem is, that the message becomes annoying AND, when I boot either of the NICs work becasue of that problem.

-Chris

Hi,

I took out the other NIC and things are working fine, but you would think that things would work fine with both of them. Sometimes you just can't describe why things happen, and this is one of them. Thanks for you help!

I 2 NIC's in one of my PC's and a freind of mine has dual cards as well and we never have any trouble. It shouldn't matter if there's a Gb card and a 10/100 card in the same PC. Just make sure the IP's on those 2 cards are different from any other PC's on your network. Good luck! :)

--Rich

Hi Peeps,

I have (well I had) 2 10/100 NICS in my workstation and then one gigabit network card in server. I still get that goofy message and then either of them works in my workstation. I have reset my WINS and also my DHCP and it still dont work. My other workstation has dual NICS and there is no problem. Any other ideas?

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back