Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual monitors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

micker377

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
O.K. I jumped right in and set up dual monitors. Now what do I do with it? I have the same background, and the mouse cursor will go from one monitor to the next. That's it! No icons, no task bar, no widgets, nothing! How do I get to any programs if I have no task bar, or Start icon?

Get over to Binary Fortress and get your self Display Fusion... best software I've ever bought (it's cheap)... taskbars on both screens, different wallpaper on both screens (or you can span one image across two) and that's just two of the features... basically I can't say enough good about this app... if you have two monitors you HAVE to have this.

I'm not sponsored by or on comission from these guys (I should be)[wink], I just love this software [smile]

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

...I should mention, you only get the taskbar on the second monitor with the Pro version but it is cheap and well worth it [smile]

You can move open programs across to the second monitor, for instance I have Photoshop open on one monitor and move the tools etc over to the second to keep the canvas clear as it were. If you minimise though it will minimise to the first montitor's taskbar. With the above mentioned program you can have programs open on both screens and have them minimise to their appropriate taskbar.

You can move some (or all) of your program icons to the second monitor too if you feel so inclined. Play around with it for a bit and see what you can do.

Once you get used to 2 screens you won't want to go back...

Micker

Are saying that you don't have any Start or Taskbar on the second monitor? That's quite normal.

What you can do, for example, is to leave you email client open on the second monitor and use the proimary monitor for other important stuff (like play games!). Open the email client and then drag it onto the second monitor. If you close it now, Windows should remember that the second monitor is its preferred location.

Regards: Terry

aich69; tf1;

I can drag the program icon over to the second monitor, but when I click on it on the second monitor, the program still opens on the first monitor. So far, dual monitors don't seem so great!

You need to open the program and drag that over to the second monitor. NOT the program icon.

=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
CCNA, CCDA, MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+, CHDP
VB.NET Programmer

That's what I tried first! An open program will not "leave" the borders of monitor #1.

Is the application maximized?? Aside from a known bug in Microsoft Excel, you should still be able to grab the title bar and drag a maximized application from one screen to the other. If not, trying "un-maximizing" the application and then moving it.

Another possibility is that your screens are "backwards". It is possible to move screen-orientations. If you go into display properties and find the properties where you set your screens to extend to both monitors, make sure monitor 1 and 2 are on the correct sides. You can drag the screen to the other side by clicking and dragging. Then try to move the applications again. So if what you think is the left mintor is really on the right in this screen, you need to reverse them.

=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
CCNA, CCDA, MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+, CHDP
VB.NET Programmer

Check your display properties... have you actually got it set to 'extend these displays'?

mstrmage1768

That was it!I had to "unmaximize" to get it to transfer. Now I can continue to see if it's worth spending money on the program that aich69 recommended.

aich69

" doesn't seem to be functional. When going directly to the site, and clicking on the "display fusion" program, I get:

500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

Tried another source, and got:
"Sorry, an error has occurred or we couldn't find this package.
Someone has been notified about the problem."

Looks like they may have pulled the program!

I use Ultramon on a triple monitors...like it a lot

and I use Wallpaper master pro for different wallpaper on each monitor

what I like about the last program is it runs for 30 seconds then is done
(its a setting)

I run my primary and a secondary monitor then I run the HDMI for the TV ...works great

same link works fine for me so not sure what's occurring for you? just google Binary Fortress and follow the links then... there is more than one product but the site is easy to navigate.

Love the program as I stated but worth looking at firewolfrl recommendations too...I'm going to [smlie]

aich69: That is where I got the "Server error" messages (on all of their offerings). I tried it when I first got your response. I tried it again before I sent the e-mail stating this, and I just tried it again. NOW it works fine!!! Apparently they had a server problem that has been cleared up.
Thanks, now I can go ahead and try it.

I did it at work and again tonight at home as you posted it as not working so I guess they must have been down for best part of the day...

Good luck with checking it out now... think you'll like it, all in one and easy to use. Even got my boss using it!

with the wallpaper program I like when the computer boots up there is new backgrounds everytime

lol still playing with it

Help!!! Moved a program to monitor #2 like suggested (drug it over). Now, how do I bring it back to monitor #1? Drug it back, won't stay. Tried closing it on #2, tried dragging it back to #1 and closing, tried everything I can think of - it still only opens on #2!

Never mind - I found that I had to "un-max" to drag it back!

BTW when you "un-max" you should see a arrow in the same bar you click it and it goes left or right.

MCITP:EA/SA, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCTS, MCP+I, MCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back