Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Monitor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artpac

Technical User
Mar 9, 2003
CA
I am using Win98SE right now but want to upgrade to WinXP so I can get away from low resource difficulties. I heard a rumour that the Home Edition of XP does not support multiple monitors. Is it true that XP Pro is necessary in order to use a dual monitor display like I'm using now with Win98SE?

Microsoft's product description web site was unclear in that aspect and of little help.

Thanks in advance for your response,
Paul

XP Home does support Dual monitors, IF your card does of course.
Or else you need 2 or more cards.
So, the rumour is FALSE! [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC! - Marc
[/sub]

This is not an easy question to answer. If you have video cards that are in the hardware compatibility list then you have a greater chance of getting dual monitor working.

On Windows 98SE I was running Asus Nvidia AGP card and an older ATI Mach64 PCI card. My first try was to get them working on Windows 2000. Each card would work by it's own but would not work together.

I thought XP might be better but was still a failure.

Really wanted to upgrade to a more current OS but not at the lost of dual display. Don't know how good it is until it's gone.

I ended up buying a MSI dual display AGP card. Freed up a PCI slot. That's gotta count for something. ;-)

I'm using an ATI Radeon VE Dual Display card in conjunction with Win98SE. It is a AGP with 32Mb of DDR Memory. Do think that card is compatible with WinXP Home running two monitors?

Thanks in advance for your response,
Paul

It is, don't worry, just get the XP drivers of course. [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC! - Marc
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back