Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dual monitor setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leefp2

Technical User
Aug 13, 2003
US
Using a new Dell Optiplex gx620 with two video cards (one with a DVI port and one with a VGA port) I am trying to use dual monitors. When I go to display > settings it gives me to option to check "O Extend My Windows Desktop across this monitor" but after so doing, when I click "apply" the setting does not stay. I have not be able to use both monitors. Any leads as to what I might be missing? TIA.

-Lee
---------------------------
Lee B. Walker
Church Administrator
Bible Center Church
1111 Oakhurst Drive
Charleston, WV 25314
304-346-0431
LWalker@BibleCenterChurch.com

Some threads and articles on dual monitors, which may be worth a read.

Display Same Desktop on Two Monitors
thread779-629506

Hardware Requirements for Multiple-Display Support in Windows XP

Description of DualView in Windows XP

List of Supported Display Adapters for Multiple Monitors and Dualview in Windows XP

307873 - HOW TO: Configure and Use Multiple Monitors in Windows XP

Display Properties Question
thread779-779588

opening a new window
thread779-456444

Thank you linney. Articles were good and on point, but still did not address my problem, i.e. the setting to establish dual view will not STAY after I select it. My second monitor, even though hooked up, never activates.

-Lee

Does the motherboard support dual Video Cards running at the same time. That could be an issue. Unless there is SLI enabling you cannot run multiple video cards simultaneouly (too my knowledge anyways)

--------------------
Life is a mind game
Wanna Play?

Are the two video cards based on chip sets from the same manufacturer? I.e. are they both nVidia cards or both ATI cards? If not, that is likely the problem.

nVidia's display software can handle two monitors but can only control nVidia-based video cards; similar story for ATI.

Regards

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back