Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dual monitor setting not available in control panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

boryan

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2004
US
Have XP Pro, SP2 on all machines. About half of them are running dual monitors. Works great, just plug the second one in via a USB port and go to Control Panel/ Display/ Settings and set up which one you want to be No. 1 and 2. But have a new monitor to plug into a system and it won't work. I've plugged this monitor into another system and it works fine. I get power and I get a test pattern of a sort on the monitor itself when it's plugged into the correct computer. I've replaced the USB cable just in case. And I get a little prompt that tells me it's found new USB port. The problem is, when I go to Control Panel/Display/Settings the dual monitor icons and options are not there. And I know it is there whether you have a dual monitor or not, it does not depend on whether or not you've added this hardware. So where is it? How do I get it? This is generally one of the easiest things to do......

The problem is, when I go to Control Panel/Display/Settings the dual monitor icons and options are not there. And I know it is there whether you have a dual monitor or not, it does not depend on whether or not you've added this hardware.

They are not there on any of my machines either, are you sure that there isn't third party software or display drivers that this 'option' is dependant upon?

Daniel.

Dual monitor support is dependant on the video card. Make sure the video card can support dual monitors or that you have 2 video cards.

If you choose to battle wits with the witless be prepared to lose.

[cheers]

Do you use an adapter for use of the second monitors to plug into a USB port?

~~Calling technical support is a sign of weakness.~~

Since you have others of these working, I would think that you know what you are doing with them.

These are the troubleshooting items that come to mind:

1) Do other USB devices work on the computer in question in the given USB port?

2) Did you check device manager to see if the USB video (or however it shows in device manager) has a yellow warning icon indicating driver install problem?

3) Are you supposed to install software first before pluggin it in, does it ask for software after you plug it in, or is this automatically recognized by Windows? And have you removed all traces of the drivers to start the install again from scratch? (You may have to do some registry editing - check manufacturers tech support to see if there are tips on completely removing the device in order to start fresh.)

4) [Wild guess] There may be something amiss with the primary card's drivers that is preventing the second from being recognized. Try reinstalling the primary card's drivers as well.

Well after thinking about this, I think I know what's the problem. Five out of the six machines that have dual monitors are laptops. So I'm plugging the extra monitors into the blue serial port that is obviously provided for just such a thing. The 6th one is a brand new Dell computer that comes equipped for dual monitors. The one I'm trying to make work is about a 1 1/2 year old HP, that don't know nuthin' about dual monitors. So, I'll get an extra video card and install it and then plug the new monitor into that and see where we go. Thanks for all your thoughts and advice here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back