Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual G5 2GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnxx

Programmer
Nov 24, 2003
RO
My dad has a problem with his PowerMac (a dual G5 2GHz with an ATI Radeon 9600 video card) and he has a small problem with it: when he let's the Mac offline for more the four-five hours, the mac doesn't want to start when he pushes the button. After three-four attempts, the Mac starts normally. (More exactly, there's no image on the screen)

I'ld like to know what could be the problem. I belive it's something related to the video card, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your answers!

I have the same machine with exactly the same problem.
I have contacted Apple support and during the support call the machine decided to start up again. They suggested I run the Hardware Test and check the disk for errors...no problems were found. My machine wouldn't start up from an unplugged state yesterday, there were thunderstorms in the area, it took at least five attempts before it would start. I have invested in the AppleCare Protectiuon plan, it appears I will need it!
Sorry I can't help you more.

Hello;
Something to try...

If the monitor is plugged into a powerstrip that is turned off with system ... try plugging in monitor directly into a wall for continuous power. The video adapter will not have problem getting the proper signal from the monitor that is already hot.
jl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back