Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual G4 800 or Single 867 for 3D, Audio , Video? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bojanland

Technical User
Nov 12, 2001
CA
To start off I'd like to say I haven't used Macs since OS 7.5, in fact that was back in at school, I haven't used them for anything more than programming a bit in ThinkPascal and your basic desktop usage.

I am very confident with Windows tools for NLVE, Audio composition and production and programming. After much thought I've decided to go with a Mac. Since the release of OS 10.1 I see the reason why I used Windows has disappeared completely.

My dilema is I'm not sure if I should buy a Dual G4 800 or a single G4 867. I need to do NLVE (FCP2?), Audio composition and production (I don't know of any product names for the Mac) and 3D Animation (I also don't know any product names).

Could someone suggest to me some products to look reviews for and screenshots, and give me a reason why I should buy a dual or a single processor? I heard that each application has to be optimized for Dual processors, instead of the OS taking care of that as is the case in GNU/Linux.

Hi,

If you run OS X than I would say go for a dual processor, because OSX is specially designed to distribute complex works like 3D-rendering over the two processors. This is done by the OSX, you don't have to worry about it, but I believe that you can change the normal way to a specific way also. SO this gives you a variety of possibilities to have one processor run the rendering and you would still be able to do some other work because the other processor has still the possibility to do some works. Your computer isn't stalled all the time ypu do 3D rendering. The problem is that not all the software you would like to use is already available in an OSX version that takes all the advantages of the new OS. Often this means you would be falling back on the classic environment.
So my advice would be to first look for the software you wan't to use and see if they already have an OSX version or if they are working on it.

hope this helps

grillhouse

Can you recommend any applications for

- Music composition (MIDI and non-MIDI)
- Music production (anything equivalent to CoolEdit or SoundForge for Windows?)
- Video editing (I'm going to go with FCP2 unless there's some more versatile?)
- 3D Animation (No clue here at all! I am using Truespace 5 for Windows now)

If you recommend something please indicate why you think it's good. All too often people simply put down Windows or Mac software without a real factual reason. I appreciate your help grillhouse!

Video editing - Adobe Premiere. Industry standard.
3D - Studio Max is pretty good, although it is a PC product. Seriously expensive and rather impressive.

Use both in house.

Hi,

I would agree on Adobe premiere for video-editing
Music production and editing I would say Cubase or Pro-tools, rather expensive but simply the best.
On 3D I don't have the slightest idea
A good site to look for applications is versiontracker.com. here you find latest versions of software and often there are some comments.
Gappy surfing

grillhouse

Adobe premier or FCP2 for video, I'd lean towards premier as there are more plugins.

Dual processor mac. Premier will use both processors.

I'd use Lightwave for 3D stuff/Animation. (Or Maya, but lightwaver is cheaper and easier to learn, as well as being incredibly powerful, and also takes advantage of dual processors.

You'll also want photoshop, of course, for making textures, bump maps, etc...

You made a good decision ;)
PT

ptmon_sm_ribbon.gif

Thanks to everyone who responded. Here is what I'll do:

1. Since I have quite a bit of legacy DOS applications I will have to keep my "Win/DOS" box for another year anyway, and I'll gradually migrate all the apps and data to the Mac

2. I will go for a Dual G4-800 (or better) in January, the $750 (CDN) cashback will expire on the Dec 31st, but I anticipate lower prices with the announcement of the G5 in 2002Q2.

3. Software I'll use is FCP2 (a friend is already famliar with it), and I'll have to find a place to try Lightwave or Maya, as I have never used either. I've used Alias Animator 6.0, but that's QUITE old now. And no other software has the interface of Truespace 4.3/5 so the UI skills won't apply either.

Thanks everyone, you've helped me a great deal,
Bojan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back