Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual CPU Setup on Poweredge 2400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexschmidt

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2003
ZA
I have a Poweredge running a single 1.1GHZ P4. I have removed an identical CPU (from another server)and added it to the mobo without doing anything else than that. The server won't boot, all I get is blank screen and nothing more happens. Are there any settings to be done on the mobo to allow for detection of the additional CPU?
Thanks in anticipation.

You also need the voltage regulator for it (the copper thing next to the CPU).

I've upgraded a couple of 2450's to dual CPU and it worked fine (didn't need jumpers changing etc). Depending on your OS and if Windows what HAL you installed originally you might need to change some settings within the OS for it to use the second CPU.

No only two - sorted my problem out by looking for the voltage regulator mentioned in Nicks post. It is actually part of a mini card that slots in next to the CPU (don't know how I could have overlooked it!) I put the second server's card in the slot, booted up, and everything worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back