Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual channel DDR vs. Single chip? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mottile

IS-IT--Management
Mar 17, 2003
IL
I recently upgraded to P4 2.66 533Mhz, ASUS P4P8x, 2 x samsung 256Mb 333Mhz. I want to change my memory to 1 chip 512Mb. i checked and i found out that my motherboard supports dual channel ddr, so now i cannot decide if i stay with 2x256Mb or replace to 512Mb. can someone tell me what is best? does dual channel ddr really changed performance?

Stick with the two 256 chips. Dual channel DDR effectively doubles the bandwidth of data transfer by feeding data to the RAM chips on two, instead of one, data bus (I believe each with its own memory bus controller). This doubles the throughput of data. While the preformance of your PC is not going to be twice that of single channel DDR, you are definately going to see a difference on benchmarking programs.

Cheers,

Everything in its right place...

The website at

claim that using 4 sticks if DDR is even faster than 2 and gives the best memory bandwidth (HIGHER SPEED) for Intel chipsets with Dual DDR.

The drawback is to achieve maximum performance you need 4 DDR RAM sticks that are exactly the same. If you mismatch the RAM you get lousy bandwidth and the Dual DDR probably will not work.

I think the concept of using 2 pieces of DDR RAM is that the memory controller interleaves between the 2 DDR RAM modules somehow to improve the time it takes to access memory. I am not sure how the memory becomes faster. It seems this would just increase the cost of the motherboards. It is of limited value unless you are running a server or doing some complex calculations or managing a databse or something complex like playing video games.

You can get some improvement in performance using Dual DDR but it is probably minimal.

You can probably get more improvement by using a faster processor or by going to a 10,000 rpm hard drive.

For maximum speed on that motherboard makes sure you are using a 800Mhz Processor. They improve the capacity or bandwidth of the memory that is accessible at any one time. They also provide better results for intense tasks like gaming. Processor prices may drop in October.

A lot depends on what AMD does and if Intel considers them as a threat to their market share. Only time will tell.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

If you've already got the two sticks of ram, then I don't see any reason to swap them out unless you're planning on maybe going up to 1gig sometime.

As to a new computer and running dual ddr, I might be the only one who doesn't like the idea, and here's why: sure I totally agree that with a given cpu & mobo, dual ddr is faster than single channel ddr. However, instead of buying a dual ddr enabled board & two sticks of ram, the money saved by a cheaper board & one stick, you've just upgraded the processor a couple speeds which overall is better on performance. The price gaps between P4's are a bit more than AMD's, with an AMD setup, I once figured that dropping from an Asus nForce2 mobo to an Asrock SiS748 w/ single channel, the price savings upgrades the Athlon from an 1800+ to a 2600+!!!

I'll stick with single channel.

I need to clarify something:

I ordered several parts: cpu, board, memory and video card. The store sent me parts that were not in my specs:
i ordered asus p4p8x-x and got p4s8x-x
i ordered 1 kingston 512Mb 333Mhz, i got 2 samsung 256Mhz.
i ordered P4 2.6 800Mhz HT, got 2.66 533Mhz no HT

so i am gonna replace all the parts: board to p4p8x, cpu to 2.6 HT, and memory i have to change to 400Mhz for the new cpu. so i have the chance to take what combination i like of memory at the price i already paid + about 15$. so people told me i should stay with 2 chips, but after your replies i'm sure i'll take 1 chip of 512M, just for the fact that when i will want to replace the memory to take advantage of the dual channel, i wil have to get the same chip and who knows if i can do it.
I stick with one chip (it will probably be samsung but it think it's ok)

10x for the help

motti :-D

Motti,
I'm a bit confused and maybe it's because I'm not following you right...

You are exchanging what you received to get a P4 2.6GHz running with an 800MHz frontside bus. Is that right? If so, you will want to use a dual DDR configuration using 2 DDR400 sticks. That way, you'll have a "memory" bus that runs at 800MHz as well. It's always a good idea to get these two to match.

From the looks of it, it seems like you are planning on ditching that idea and staying with the 1 Kingston 512MB chip running at 333MHz. I'm not sure I would agree with that...

Kingston offers packs of 2 256Mb DDR400 sticks, they generally cost a few bucks cheaper than buying two of them seperately. Not sure if the store your purchasing from has them, but look for the option. These 2 packs are tested together and should perform well together.

[sub]01000111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01100110 01100110 01100101 01100101 00111111[/sub]
minilogo.gif alt=tiernok.com
The never-completed website

Kingston does NOT guarantee their paired sticks are matching. It does no good to go with Dual Channel if the paired sticks aren't matched from the factory. It's no different than just adding stick after stick until the slots are filled.

Treeking,
Well, that depends on whether you are talking about the Kingston HyperX memory kits or not. It appears that Tarwn is.

Here's what Kingston has to say:

Note 1: HyperX is high performance memory and may not be compatible with your computer. Please check your system specifications to ensure compatibility.

Note 2: Kingston's HyperX kits are designed and tested to meet dual channel architecture requirements such as those found on chipsets and motherboards like NVidia's Nforce2, and Intel's Canterwood and Springdale.

Kingston HyperX memory is designed based on the latest DDR specifications available, and is 100% tested at Kingston's flagship factories. Plus, these Kingston modules come with the standard Kingston lifetime warranty and toll-free Tech Support. Built with the best-quality components, Kingston HyperX is competitively priced and is the choice for the serious gamer.

HyperX Enthusiast Grade Modules and Kits:
[ul][li]Designed and built by the world's largest independent memory manufacturer[/li]
[li]HyperX memory modules based upon latest specifications and designs[/li]
[li]Backed by Kingston's reputation for quality and support[/li]
[li]Available in kits of 2 to meet Dual Channel architecture requirements[/li]
[li]Tested at published speeds on high-end Advantest® memory testers[/li][/ul]

Check the link for yourself:

It's hard to believe that someone as reputable as Kingston wouldn't offer an official guarantee to go along with this. Nowhere does it state a warning that the modules might not match. As a matter of fact, it seems to be the opposite.

~cdogg
[tab]"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

I am going to get a 400Mhz memory. I thought about it some more and i will stay with 2 x 256Mb. but it will probably be samsung and not kingston since the supplier of kingston here wants a very high price, which is not justified.

Motti

Treeking: Sorry about that, I thought I had written HyperX, mind moving faster than the fingers :)

[sub]01000111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01100110 01100110 01100101 01100101 00111111[/sub]
minilogo.gif alt=tiernok.com
The never-completed website

Wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturers would TRY to conform with each other so EVERYONE could upgrade whenever they wanted ( and more often if it wasn't so painful) and things that are supposed to Plug-N-Play would????

cdogg: I guess I was going by the previous problems that had plagued Kingston when they introduced their "twin" sticks. It seems that the "match/paired" problem has hence been solved. We don't use Kingston except rarely so we don't keep as up to date about it as others might.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back