Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual BroadBand Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

assd

Technical User
Oct 28, 2002
GB
I have just purchased AOL's Broadband service for 12 months. I live in the UK and the connection is ADSL.

Primarily I need internet access on two PC's. Both computers are networked using a crossover cable and standard PCI network cards respectively. Both run on XP Pro.
The modem i will use will be that supplied by AOL.

Basically, can i share the internet connection without using a broadband router or indeed any other router for that matter as i already have a network installed (any
suggestions to makes/models).

If i do need a router will I have to purchase one with a in-built switch or can i buy one without.

I also plan to buy a laptop soon and will need to also connect to the net.

Both my brother and i want to be on the net at the time due to work commitments, our computers are about 15 metres apart.

Finally, will it be possible for one of the PC's to connect to the net if the other machine is turned off and visa versa?

I know there's alot of questions, but judging by the calibre of tek tips members, you should find answering them no problem.

Thank you very much for your time and effort in advance.

AOL usually supply a USB modem (the BT Voyager).

You'll need to get some routing software - Windows ICS doesn't cut the mustard with AOL.
AnalogX (proxy server) has been recommended many times on Tek-Tips -
However, if you're still within your cooling off period (2 weeks from the date you receive the broadband modem) it may be worth cancelling AOL and going elsewhere.

You can pick up a 512k ADSL connection from Pipex for £20 pm (+£15 setup, inc modem) - and I'm sure there are many others cheaper than AOL (see for comparisons)

If you insist on using AOL, you can use a third party for your ADSL connection (which will simplify the internet connection sharing greatly - simply use Windows ICS) and "piggy-back" the aol connection (AOL do a £6.99pm price plan called 'broadband: bring your own access').

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Greetings Assd,

We strongly recommend the use of a router (even a very basic one) for any type of networking (especially with Windows). There are even USB-modem compatible ones available.

The reason is simple - it will be a lot easier for you to set-up, change, modify or upgrade your network with a router, instead of mortgaging one of your PC's ressources to do the same thing.

Best of luck!

Bdahl

See this thread for some useful comments: thread585-554709

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back