Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakota81

Technical User
May 15, 2001
US
So I'm trying out a dual boot between Win98 & WinXP and wondering if there are some tips to doing it. Win98 is already set up on the machine, want to add XP onto the second partition. Both partitions are FAT32, and everything went well, I can boot both OS's. However, the recycle bins are not compatible I guess, when I went back to 98 and tried to delete a file, a message came up that the recycle bin format is invalid, and explorer proceeded to crash. I could ctrl-alt-del & end the explorer task and it came right back up again.

Any tips? I've got a second machine to add XP onto & dual boot as well.

98 should only be aware of its own recycle bin - the fact XP is installed on second partition shouldn't matter (the second partition is just fat32 filestore to the 98 installation). You do get that invalid format message on single o/s too - cna't remember what causes it.

One thing about dual boot - if you later decide to keep XP and want rid of 98, be careful how you do it (unless you do a backup and clean install of XP) - as the boot sector for both o/s is on the 98 (C:) drive. So don't just format it - XP won't boot if you do that.

Did I read between the lines correctly? The XP is on a separate partition , but is it a primary, or an extended with a logical drive? In the latter case there will be some interaction.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Yes, Win98 is on the primary partition, and XP is on an extended partition logical drive. The company that uses these computers are in the process of switching over from a DOS based accounting program to a new app that requires 2000 or XP to run, so in this transition stage there will be some dual boot computers. I figure when they do finally drop Win98, I'll just set the machine to auto boot XP.

I'll play around with the recycle bin - looks like I am able to have Win98 clear the recycle bin when an error is encountered, and explorer doesn't crash. Hopefully they won't need to run 98 too much longer.

This is a known issue and not easily fixed (it appears).

You could try having the setting on the Recycle Bin Properties for each operating system set to "Configure drives independently" - Specifies that different settings be used for each of your drives - rather than using "Use one setting for all drives".

The alternative is to put them on separate primary partitions. Requires the use of a boot manager to get the right one up at every boot.

Once 98 is finished you would use a partitioning tool to recover the space for the remaining OS.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I want to have dual boot
with xp on 60gb hard disk & windows 98 on 20GB Harddisk
60gb connected as primary master & 20gb connected as primary slave.

I have done many times with dual boot on same partition or different parition but not on diffrent hard disk.
Any idea???

-Mal

MALICKA,

Whether it is a different partition or different drive the same rules apply.

How To Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP

The older operating system gets installed first and XP gets installed onto the 2nd drive via your settings chosen in Setup.

HOW TO: Partition and Format a Hard Disk in Windows XP (Q313348)

Read the paragraph,
"How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back