Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Booting with two hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

oasisgjm

Programmer
Aug 8, 2003
CA
If I took two hard drives with operating systems and installed them on the same IDE cable as masters. Then installed a switch that alternated power between each drive so that in position A only drive 1 had power, in position B, only drive 2 had power. Would this give me a dual bootable system? I have seen other switching devices that changed the jumpers externally, but this still means the second drive is spinning and accessible. I like the idea of having the unused drive powered down and out of the loop. Make sense?

Safer to go with a removable drive tray. Then you just lock in the drive you want to use and boot the pc.

Rich

Actually I used to have two removable trays and just powered one or the other off depending on which disk I wanted to boot from. The trays weren't that well built and eventually, the latches broke.

I have done this and it works perfect for the switch I used a regular switch on the 12v wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back