Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dual booting winxp, rh linux7.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

neos

Programmer
Oct 28, 2000
CA
hello,
i need to know how to dual boot winxp pro, and redhat linux 7.2. Can I use GRUB to boot them all because I am writing my own operating system, and havnt got to the bootstrap yet. Which do I install first? GRUB, xp, linux? Ive heard the winnt bootloader is very fussy about other operating systems, especially linux. What do i do first? shaun

I Installed XP first then Linux and it worked. The only difference is that it is Mandrake 8.1 Too bad I.T. is not cash business

Luc Foata
Unix sysadmin, Oracle DBA

THE BEST THING U CAN DO IS INSTALL THE WINBLOWZ OS FIRST THEN LET LINUX AUTO0-DETECT THE FREE PARTION TO INSTALL ON ..THAT SHOULD WORK FINE I INSTALLED WIN 2000 PRO FIRST THEN SuSE 7.2 and it worked fine:)

I have Winblows xp on my computer. I installed rh linux 7.2 on a seperate hard drive and can't get it to boot. The boot floppy won't even work. Please help

Raptor:

If you boot off the install cd and type &quot;vmlinuz <partition you installed onto>&quot; it should detect your linux install and boot up, this command may have changed but when you boot off the linux CD it should give you the command. Once you are in, install lilo on your /dev/hda drive (The drive the system uses to boot) and you should be ok.

Thanks,

Mark

As long as you have free partition space available (amazing no-one's mentioned this), Linux (any variety) will install fine with whatever Windows you have installed.

That is, as long as you haven't formatted the boot partition (C: drive) as NTFS...

My fix is to create a small (ie 50Mb or so) C: partition, formatted as FAT16, then install Windoze versions on D: (Win98) and E: (W2k), leaving F: as an apps partition (common to both O/S, FAT32), and G: as a data partition (second hard disk, FAT32). The remainder of the second hard disk is given over to whichever version of Linux I feel like running (Currently Caldera).

But you don't have to do it this way ;-)

The Win bootloader won't even know or care that you've got Linux installed, because Lilo (or grub, etc) will pass control to it once it's established that you're not going to boot into Linux.

Remember, the key is dumbest O/S first (DOS, Win9x, NT (inc 2k), Linux).

I hope this helps

Ok, so I have (or in this case, it's appearant that i had) winXP installed first on my computer. I added another hard drive and then proceeded to install Mandrake 8.1 onto it (as I've done on other machines to dual boot). When I configured lilo it found the windows, forgive my lack of exact words, as 'bootable' and put an entry in the lilo config file, so I could boot to a number of linux options and windoze. WEll, i reboot, and instead of loading the text based (or on another try graphics based) boot loader it simply displayed, over and over again 7^7^7^7^.... and nothign I can do, short of re-installing, can get winXP to work. I can get linux to run fine using a bootdisk.. but winXP (which is, sadly, formatted to the ntfs, which might entail the problem) won't load. And when I tried to throw the winXP disk in (thinking that the MBR might've gotten corrupted by lilo and that i would have to settle for loading windoze by default, and putting the boot disk in for linux, which is fine by me) but, i tried to go into 'system recovery' mode, to load the MBR again as it was, and it wouldn't take my password, and it keeps locking up then (before I hit the three password try mandate)....

so, if anyone has any ideas on this, please please please, let me know, i'd be more than appreciative...
thanks
NGTV|3

No version of Linux can, to the best of my knowledge, cope with NTFS. I think you're right in suspecting that lilo has had a hand in upsetting the Windows boot sector.

This is why I always create a small FAT partition as C:

I hope this helps

So, can I assume that now that I have winXP installed on a fat32 partition that I can safely dual boot into linux (using lilo to choose what to boot into)??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back