Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual booting Win98 and 2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhobart2

Technical User
Nov 20, 2001
US
I would like to remove the windows 2000 from the startup options or at least make the windows 98 the default startup OS. However, I'm not sure where the registry setting is. Could anyone help? Thanks.

I'm assuming Win98 is on the first partition of the hard drive, correct? If so, there should be a file called boot.ini located directly under C:\. You have to edit this file to make Win98 the default. You can also specify the amount of time the prompt waits for a response. I set mine to 2 seconds since I use Win98 more often and don't feel like selecting it every time. 2 seconds is just enough to catch the prompt and choose Win2K when I want to...

Here's how you do it.

1. Login as local administrator

2. Right click My Computer and go to Properties

3. Click on the Advanced Tab

4. Click on the Startup and Recovery button

5. On the top, you'll see a dropdown menu for Default Operating System. Select the operating system you want and click OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back