Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual booting w2k Pro and Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

HectorTheDog

Technical User
Nov 6, 2000
GB
I am building a development box, and want my machine to dual boot between W2K Professional and W2K Server. How would I go about this?

Thanks

Kevin

Doesn't matter here - both w2k pro and server have the boot manager. Just pick what drives you want each os to be on, and install them there. To help avoid any problems, I'd install the C: drive os first, then the D:. I had an issue when I dual booted-the second os saw itself on an F: drive (I assume it took the next one after the CD-Rom). But I re-installed the second os with all partitions formatted, and had no trouble.

Good Luck
>:):O> anongod@hotmail.com

"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

Exemple 1:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server" /fastdetect

Comments:
First Partition: Win2k Pro
Second Partition: Win2k AS

This Boot.ini file must be on the Active Boot Partition

Example 2:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server" /fastdetect

Comments:

First HD, First Partition = Win2k Pro
Second HD, First Partition: Win2k AS

This Boot.ini file must be on the Active Boot Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back