Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual booting linux and NT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggggooo

MIS
Feb 8, 1999
US
I've installed NT workstation and then in stalled linux as a workstation. I installed NT first, now Lilo automatically boots to linux and I want to be able to choose which one to boot. I've tried editing the boot ini file on my boot disk and doing the emergency repair thing but nothing works. Is there any way to get OSLoader back?

Try typing "dos" at the lilo prompt. Assuming the partiton where NT resides is intact (which it should be) it should try to boot what lilo thinks is a dos partition, which is actually the NT bootloader.

Read the NT-Loader mini-HOWTO on the Linux Documentation Project<br>
at Basically you run want to run LILO<br>
to create a bootsector image, put that in a file, and then edit the<br>
NT boot.ini file to give a Linux entry that points to the bootsector file.

If you installed lilo in the boot partition, not in the MBR, you can configure lilo to dual boot. I do exactly that here. My PC defaults to Linux after about 20 seconds, but if I type "DOS" at the prompt it switches to the regular NT/Dos boot loader menu.

grandelf: Could you please clerify how you installed lilo in boot partition but not in MBR? Did you set another partition active? I tried to install lilo in Linux system partition but it didn't work.<br>
<br>
As to dual booting Linux and NT, installing NT first and Linux next should work. All you need is to mount NT partition in Linux when you install it. I did it the same way (actually I have WIN95 with FAT16 in the first partition also), it works fine.

Can't you edit your liko.conf file under LINUX and then type lilo at your linux prompt to write the changes and then reboot.<br>
<br>
Sorry, new to LINUX, however I had a similar problem earlier this week and this was the resolve.<br>

I guess you mean editing lilo.conf. You can edit it and when you save it the changes are written. Then just reboot.<br>
<br>
Answer to my previous question: You can install lilo in Linux root partition and use Windows NT OS Loader to dual boot. Refer to the following mini_HOTO:<br>
<br>
<br>
Now I use NT OS Loader to boot NT, Win95, and Linux.

I have a DEC Alpha (Miada) workstation that is dual boot. In the Alpha BIOS setup, there is a selection for operating system bootup.<br>
<br>
I had to have NT Workstation and the Linux OSloader on a FAT drive. After completing the 'string' of commands to load the Linux OSloader vs. the NT OSloader, my system now asks on bootup which operating system to boot to.<br>
<br>
Since I was fortunate enough to have multiple hard drives, this made it easy to install the NT Operating system on a NTFS partitioned drive, while Linux is on another seperate disk. The common FAT drive handles both OSloaders.<br>
<br>
Does anyone else have Alpha experience with Linux?

You said you installed Linux as "workstation"?<br>
<br>
I believe (please correct me here!) that this will actually grab the whole HD for use with Linux, erasing any other OS on your HD. I know Red Hat has a "Custom" install which you should use if you intend to dual-boot. I do this, with Win95.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Milamber

i am trying out with my os. now i am in the phase of writing bootsector code. can anyone plz. help me out telling me what to do actually.

thank u

aruna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back