Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual booting LINUX 8.0 and Windows 98? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

torwart

MIS
Mar 7, 2003
US
I recently installed a 2nd hard drive on my PC. Master has Windows 98 and slave has Linux 8.0. I'm using LILO as the boot loader. While installing Linux I set the PC to boot to just Linux. I tried to use vi to edit lilo.conf to dual boot, but to no avail. The system still boots to Linux. I'm new to Linux and I am not sure if I did this correctly. How do I edit LILO to dual boot at startup?

After editing lilo.conf you have to restart lilo to read the config file. Type,
/PATH_TO_LILO/lilo

and restart your system.

Also, check out this thread, it's right up your alley. thread619-477983

HTH

as pavNell says, you need to rerun lilo to take the changes into affect.

You will get a message about every "os" that has been added, and the one with the *** is the default.

I have no idea how you're booting the slave drive by default (unless that's in your BIOS). Ensure that the prompt option is enabled in your lilo.conf. This usually goes well with the single-key option. Set the delay and the timeout to reasonable values. After the image= section which defines your linux partition use an other= section to define your Windows partition.

For example:

image=/boot/linux-2.4.20-180303
label=L2.4.20c1
read-only
alias=1

other=/dev/<Windows partition>
label=Win98SE
optional
# restricted
alias=3

Alias lines are for single-key selection. Labels are displayed in the LILO boot menu when prompt is enabled. Your <Windows partition> will be the drive and partition location of your Windows installation.

hda1=primary master partition 1
hdb2=primary slave partition 2
hdcX=secondary master partition X
hddN=secondary master partition N

Choose wisely.

Detailed documentation at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back