Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzzieGeorge

Programmer
Jan 14, 2005
AU
Here in Oz we are increasingly having trouble with new computers having no floppy or RS232 port. But a bigger problem is the need to have windows 98 available for loading licences and expansions. The thing that is making it worse is that 98 doesn't like USB floppy drives (at least with Matworx). So I was wondering if this is a worldwide problem or has someone solved it and we just don't know about it?

Anybody out there got a way round the problem?

All of our NEC Key and PBX software has been coming on CD's for quite some time now here in the US. The only issues we still experiance problems with, are doing upgrades and changes on older 2000's. We keep one laptop which still has an RS232 port for this purpose. We have never had success using a USB to serial port adapter with MatWorx. I do remember reading something a long time ago on NTAC's website which said they had tested such a device and it was working. Can't remember the brand they tested though. Hopefully someone else will have a better answer to your problem!!

For us it is a problem with remote sites and boy have we got some remote sites! You fly out with two laptops then have problems with the old 98 machine and the job turns to S#&T. There should be a way round this!

I have used a startech.com USB to SErial Adapter with com port retention and it has worked on the old fms/vms/and AD-8 voicemails and with the SAT software for the elite 192's and IPK's. The part number is ICUSB232PRO. Shouldn't cost more than 50 bucks.

It's more the problem with having to run 98 that we are dealing with. We also have a considerable number of old 2400s and USB drives don't work with DOS based programmes too well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back