Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Boot XP + 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSSTechie

Technical User
May 21, 2003
GB
Hi

I have a windows XP machine with 1 NTFS partition. If I used partition magic to make a new partition from some of this and format it as FAT 32, could I install Windows 98 and make the computer dual boot? If so, can you please explain how. The only instructions I can find say install 98 first but, as mentioned, I already have XP installed and I really don't want to have to go through the entire installation of my system again.

Thanks in advance

TSSTechie

[lightsaber] May The Force Be With You [trooper] [yoda]

This has been covered many times (by me!, among others).

Yes you can - I would use 3rd party boot manager ( is my preferred, free for personal use & lots of good info on the site) - though I think PM inclues Boot Magic.

Method. Create a primary fat32 partition for the 98 installation.

Hide the XP installaton (98 install won't like it being there). Install 98 as normal to new partition (it will see it as C:). Unhide the XP partition, boot into XP and install boot-us GUI. Run this to set up boot menu. That's it.

If you want to use the XP boot loader -

This has been done, tried, messed up, and otherwise fixed.
Another excellent resource:
Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back