Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual boot Win2000 and Win98se to default to start Win98se first

Status
Not open for further replies.

jund

Instructor
Feb 13, 2001
US
I have installed a dual boot Win98se and Win2000. However, it defaults to starting Win2000 first. I want the sreen to change the sequence of startup so that it defaults to starting Win98se first. Can someone tell me how to do that please?
Thank you,
John Underwood

Thank you puzzledperson for your prompt reply; however, I opened the boot.ini file and here is the file:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

Now, I need your help more than ever. What do I change (edit)?

My WINNT is located on D: (which is partition 2?)

Thank you for your patience.
John U

Puzzledperson... thanks again. The good Lord works in mysterious ways... especially on Easter. I decided to reinstall Win98se, and when I did it reconfigured boot.ini to select Win98. And here is what it did:

[Boot Loader]
timeout=30
Default=C:
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

The reason I was so upset with the auto default, is because my wife uses the system and I will be out of town and asking her to wait for the screen and do this and that would not be appealing to her. So, all I have to do now is change the timeout to 1 second and she will be in fat city.

Thank you for the help.

sincerely,
John Underwood

wait, no need to edit boot.ini files.
boot into 2000, goto control panel, system, advanced tab and choose startup and recovery. you can change the default operating system there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back