Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dual boot Win Xp and Win 98. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobTechy

Programmer
Apr 14, 2005
US
I am trying to dual boot Win 98 2nd Ed. and Win XP sp2 on a brand new dell laptop. I have uninstalled xp and installed 98. I am stuck at this point as to what steps follow to install xp and get the dual boot working.

If Win98 is now working, just restart the PC with the WinXp Cd inside, and boot from it. So you get to the Setup. Point Windows XP to another location, preferably a different partition or hard drive than where 98 is installed on, and let the install run. It Should take care of the boot loader itself.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

A different partition would be my choice since I only have one hard drive so will this different partition be created automatically by Win XP or is this something I would have to create and if so how do I do this. Thanks

You will have to create this partition when you install Windows XP. You will come up to a screen where Setup will ask you where to install Windows XP. Did you leave any free space from the Win98 installation? If so install XP on the unpartitioned space. If not you will need to find a way to re-partition your hard drive (Symantec's Partition Magic works great). You could probably find some free software to do this if you search for it.

Joey
A+, Network+, MCP

Yes, as Illogically says, If you left unpartitioned space after installing Win98 you can use that, and tell the WinXP setup to create the partition in that space. Then just install it onto the newly created partition. If not, you'll need a third party app, to resize the existing partition, and create a new one to install WinXP unto.

Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I was also told that I can just use Virtual PC 07 since its free.

You can use it, but i think it wont run on Win98, so you would have to go back and format, and install WinXp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back