Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual boot Win xp and Win 2000?? Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

xexth

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2001
CA
Hi! I want to be able to run Win XP and Win 2000 on the same harddrive. Do I need any special utilities to accomplish this? I had heard that it was not advisable to run Win XP Professional with Win 2000 Professional on the same drive - would like an informed opinion. Thank you in advance for your help.

There are two ways in which you can try:
1. Split the hard drive and install one on either hard disk space.
2. Setup both on the same hard drive and it would probably ask you which Windows you would like to operate in.

It's fine, as long as you change the name of the Directory you install the 2nd O/S into ;-)

thanks citrix engineer - i'll try your method of changing the directory for the 2nd OS.

W2K by default sets itself as winnt Xp sets itself as windows again by default so it should do everything with little or no input from you other than making sure you tell it you want to retain the previous windows.

the problem with citrix guys solution is that when you install a program into the Program files directory, that program is not installed into the other os (obviously). A work around is, however...to install the same program in BOTH OS's...without any changes to them...and they both use the same Program FIles info....(for example. install Office 2k when booted to Win 2k, it will place files in "program Files/Office 2k", now boot up to XP and install office into the same directory "Program files/office 2k", now when you boot up to either....office will work, because the current "SHARED" resources are running on that booted OS. There is a problem with this sometimes...when you make large changes to one "copy" and not the other....just make sure any changes you make ...you can RE make on the other OS.

Thanks , bsingin64

It's worth pointing out that this is an issue with any Windows dual-boot setup.

CE

A hearty thanks to all who replied to my post. I'll try your suggestions and let u know how it goes. Thanks again !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back