Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual boot W2K & XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

miha

IS-IT--Management
Mar 18, 2002
SI
I have a question - can I install Win XP on my laptop as second OS? I allready have a W2K Pro, but there is also an Oracle 8.1 server on my laptop (I use my laptop for presentation of a program that runs on Oracle - so my laptop is at the same time the Server and a Client).
My question is:
Could dual boot affect my oracle?

I'm guessing that the Oracle server runs under Win 2K. If that is the case, then if you dual boot with XP, or any other OS for that matter, then Oracle will not run unless you are in 2K.

Scotsdude[bravo]

You are wright - Oracle runs under W2K. I don't need it in under win XP. But I'm still not sure how will dual boot affect my programs that are running under W2K. Do you think it would be better to backup the registry file before instalation.
Thx

To be honest, you'll need to partition your hard drive, and install XP to the new partition. All your Win2K programs should be untouched, you just won't be able to access them under XP.

Since the OS's will be on seperate partitions, the computer sees them as seperate hard drives, so your reg file should be untouched as well. Its always a good idea to back up reg file and data anyway before doing anything like this. Trust me, I learnt the hard way......

Scotsdude[bravo]

Thank you for your respond. Can you please tell me how to create a new partition on my HD. Currently there is only one and W2K is instaled on it. Can I create a new partition without doing any harm to current OS an data?

get a copy of partition magic. it'll do the trick. make sure you've got a big enough hard drive though....

Scotsdude[bravo]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back