Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dual boot w/win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasman24

IS-IT--Management
Mar 18, 2003
US
I have win 98 on a 13gb hd and have a 60gb hd partitioned into 3 20gb's. I'm trying to install win2k server on one of the 20gb partitions. The logo screen comes up and it seems like it's about to finish the setup but then reboots. I've reformatted, tried fat32 and ntfs, i've removed unnessesary hardware. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Jim

use partition magic to do the following

hide all partitions except the one you want to install win2k and make this the active one (temporarily)

install Win2k as normal

use partition magic to unhide all the partitions and create a small partition of say 10mb. Make this the active partition and install a boot menu into this (partition magic should have one)

configure the boot menu to either boot into the win98 or win2k partition

"Work to live, don't live to work"

"The problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes it shoots back"

i've made a mess of it. when I rebooted after palying with patition magic I got a "error loading OS" I'm reinstalling win98 now. what a pain.

it wouldn't let me use any of the logical drives I had created, it wanted to be installed on C: so it suggested partitioning a portion which I did and it made it active but when it rebooted, nothing.

I'm going to reinstall win98 on a much smaller partition and see if I can win2k to dual boot.

I'm so frustrated right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back