Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual boot -- Use XP or Me. How to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrpatdlgs

Programmer
Mar 28, 2000
US
Hi all,

I need to run some legacy software that performs correctly under Windows Me but not under XP. Can someone point me to <step-by-step> instructions for reformating my HD and setting it up to boot either Me or XP on demand? XP would hopefully be the default.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
John

Does it not run under XP's Compatibility mode?

Andy.

jrpatdlgs, before you install another os, have you thoroghly investigated XP's compatibility mode? There are a few things that don't work right under xp, but most will. I would suggest/recommend a lot of things before I'd recommend re-installing Windows Me.

What os is now runing on the system. You should be able to add a os without re formating.
If you are useing DOS programs that acc. hardware directly you will need to the ME or WIN98Se.
there are 3 pairty software that will resize and made a 2nd partistion for the new os.

Let me suggest a solution that I would never have suggested previously: use the Microsft Virtual PC.

A free 45-day trial:
I saw a product demonstration of this at the MVP Summit, and spent some time with the MS folks. I was concerned about older Clipper and Dbase applications; concerned about some seemingly intractible use of local printers; concerned about relatively newer applications and older ones using serial ports.

They convinced me that this is a better solution than a dual-boot one.

I really hope it works for you. And, yes, I asked specifcly about Windows ME apps.

Bill

Bill,

Did they give you a free copy?

Or didn't you ask that one?

linney,

Part of the "Universal" MSDN subscription.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back