Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual boot/then install XP/Lost Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky20

Technical User
Jun 1, 2003
CN
Description: Hi. Bootmagic was installed with 2 primary partitions and two other partitions for data. Two operating systems were installed in the primaries: Windows 98SE chinese, and WIN2K english. Then, I installed XP in one of the 2 partitions without an operating system. Upon restarting, I no longer had bootmagic menu available, only xp multiboot menu to choose from XP and Win2k. The second primary partition [C2] with windows98se is still there but hidden. I want to have XP, Win2k and Windows98SE chinese again and be able to choose. Also, in the future I may want to try Linux. What should I do? Can I just delete the hidden partition and then create another and reinstall a system on it? Does XP perform the same multiboot functions as Partition Magic and can be used for this? I really don't want to have to start from scratch and reinstall everything, now XP and win2k work fine. Thanks

1st a question: since SE is fat 32 and Win 2k and XP can be Fat32 or NT which system did u use to install XP.
Triple or Quad Boot should be no PROBLEM. I for one found that by mixing Fat with NT turned out to be a real pain...
Also what version of PQ Magic are u using.... ?
reason i ask is: 1. Installing under Windows 2000/Windows XP
-------------------------------------------
When Installing BootMagic from Windows 2000 or Windows XP, it is recommended that you install to a FAT16 partition. If you install to a FAT32 partition, the rescue diskettes will not see the BootMagic partition. If you do install to a FAT32 partition, you can create rescue diskettes from a Windows 98 or Windows Me machine; then the disks will see the FAT32 BootMagic partition correctly.

PQ8 is not the same...

Frank Smith
s0121@Giantcomm.net
"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

Hi. Others did the initial installation. They used BootMagic but I now have PM8. Everything was done Fat32. Win98sechinese installed first, then win2k. Later I installed XP to one of the other partitions and that is when I lost the Win98 partition. PM8 gives me the option to unhide it but I'm nervous about it because of drive mapping, and the drive letters getting changed. PM8 has a utility for that but it still makes me nervous. I'm running out of space in my data partitions, also, and would like to take some of the space from the boot partitions if I could.

No.. go ahead and unhide it... yes it will probably rename the partition and it might be in the wrong place. either use PQ8 to rename in the correct place. or us the MS utility to rename the partitions correctly... or you can manually change name of the partitions.

The most important thing..you did not loose it. Test by rebooting. If correct your OK if not. start>>>run...
c:\boot.ini..you might have to manually change attributes so you can modify...

Frank Smith
s0121@Giantcomm.net
"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

OK, great! I unhid it and everything's good. The drive letters didn't change it's just called C2, and I can use the space.

Now I can try to install Windows98 chinese on that partition and see if I can multiboot it if XP picks it up

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back