Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DUAL-BOOT - strange thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonzilla

Programmer
Apr 10, 2001
US
Hello,

I installed WIN 2000 (clean) on a new HD and when it boots, it gives me the option to choose

1) WIN 2000
2) Windows

I never set up the dual boot option. The only thing I can think that happened is that I did have my old drive (Windows 98) connected when I did the install as well. I changed the jumpers on it to slave and moved it on the cable before installing anything. Did WIN 2000 think another OS was installed?

I would like to remove the option for Windows. (since the old HD isn't even connected anymore)

Thanks in advance.

-Tyler

The easiest way is to right click on My Computer and go to Advanced. Next click on Startup and Recovery at the bottom. Then UNCHECK the "Display a list of Operating systems for" box. This should stop the problem you are having. Make sure in the Text Box above it (default Operating System:" you have the Windows 2000 option selected..

Another way is to edit the boot.ini file but I dont recommend you do that since it is a little more complicated.

Any more problems let me know.

I have actually messed with system and configuration files before, so you could tell me and I won't hold you responsible for anything!

I went home and looked for my boot.ini file which I have opened before, and it is missing! I checked in the Folder Options and I have it so I can view all files. The boot.ini is usually in the c:\ folder right? I actually looked in others and couldn't find it.

Is there a setting that is overriding the folder setting to hide certain files? If not, where is it? The computer boots fine and I would guess it wouldn't if the boot.ini file was really missing.

Thanks for your help.

-Tyler

even if you did a clean install of Win2k, if there was some form of partition, or previous filesystem (rather than a partitionless harddrive) , Win2k will point to whatever boot record was there privately, either calling it "Windows" or "Unknown OS" or "Previous Os on C:"

something of that sort.

But I dont know about the boot file itself, but you should see it on the last tab after you double click System in control pannel (Start Up Options I belive) Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

Remember to update your ERD (Emergance Repair Disk)
before editing the boot.ini file
To edit the boot.ini file do the following:

Type in RUN attrib -r -s -h boot.ini
Then open notepad, go to file>open and point to the C: drive and and in the File name box type boot.ini (its hidden so you wont see it) then hit open.

Once you have it up it should look similar to the following:
[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Server" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNTAS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server" /fastdetect

The default =... is the default operating system it points to. Edit this to the one you want. Timeout=0 is what you want to modify. Set it to o once you have the OS you want to boot to in the default=0 line.

Once this is done save the boot.ini file and go to Start>RUN again and type:
attrib +r +s +h boot.ini
This is very important so it so no one else can mess it up later.

Then reboot and see what happens. What I typed in my first posting is an easier way of doing the same thing. Plus you dont have to edit any thing.

Thank you! Just a quick question.

When you type attrib -r -s -h (filename) doesn't that usually show the hidden file? Why would it sill not show itself? Obviously "Show All Files" in the folder options isn't totally true either. Is that something different with WIN 2000?

I actually went to the command prompt and typed attrib -h boot.ini (before I sent that last message) and the file wasn't found. I think I was in the c:\WINNT directory when I tried that though.

I'll try it when I get home from work...we still use Windows 95 (version B - yikes) at work.

Thank you so much!

-Tyler

not only do you have "hidden" properties, but Win2k will also hide OS Specific System Files, so you have to turn on "Show Hidden System Files" as well, rather than to just show hidden files. Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

Windows 2000 will not always show the boot.ini file infact Win2000 server will not show it at all. (at least I have not gotten it to.) Infact even if you did a search for it you will not find it. So any way. Type the attrib -r -s -h boot.ini in the RUN command (START>RUN). THEN open noptepad and when you open file just type in boot.ini and it will come up. When you are finished you really need to reactivate the attributes.

do the same as he said before
attrib -r -s -h boot.ini

except this time turn them on

attrib +r +s +h boot.ini Karl Blessing aka kb244{fastHACK}
kblogo.jpg

hey folks, can someone help me w/ dual boot using 2 different disks (i've done dual boot on 1 disk, diff partitions)
C: win2k adv serv
D: win98

my boot.ini as of now is:
default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="win2k"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\windows="win98"

win2k on c: boots fine
win98 on d: says there's prob w/ ntoskrnl.exe - pls reinstall??!!
HELP
TKS!!

Win98 must reside on C: . If you make the Win98 disk primary master, then you can reinstall Win2000 to the other disk and have multibooting features.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back