Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual boot in win2k question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elminster

Programmer
Jun 26, 2001
CA
Hi, I got a brand new computer and I’ve installed win2k (clean install) on it. When I start the computer, I got a menu that give 2 choices ( Windows 2000 or Microsoft windows). I’ve formatted the disk prior to installation and didn’t install any previous version of windows.

My question is: what is that Microsoft windows? When I use it to start the computer, it bring me to a dos prompt environment. Is it normal for me to have this, what is the use for it … and can I get rid of it.

Thank you all for your help.

You can get rid of it. This is the normal behavior Windows 2000 does when you had a previos OS on the system (i.e. DOS, Win9x or WinME). To get rid of the menu, edit the boot.ini file (typically c:\boot.ini). This is a hidden read only file so you will need to take the read only attribute off (right click the file, select properties and uncheck read only. Make sure you put back the read only attribute when you are done). There will be 4-5 lines in this file. Remove the one that has "Windows Windows" next to it. I noticed that you said there was no OS on the drive prior to installation. If you formatted the drive with /s command to copy systm files, then technically it had an operating system and this is what you are getting access to (i.e. DOS, 95, 89 command.com). Hope this helps.

Thanks computerhighguy :) this is exacly the answer i was looking for. You are right, i did format with the /s option ... i just didn't think of it as a OS ...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back