Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual boot desktop Linux with Vista 64-bit ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 1999
US
I'm overdue to catch up to the modern world - currently running two home systems with Win2K Pro. Just purchased a New HP Pavilion - Dual core Intel CPU, 4GB/500GB, comes with Vista 64-bit - wondering if there's a safe way to set it up to dual boot Vista (or downgrade to XP Pro) and one of the flavors of desktop Linux. I'm leaving it in the box until I decide what course to take.
Recommendations (or warnings) welcome!
(I also posted this in the desktop Linux forum)

Fred Wagner

Virtual PC 2007

XP Pro and Vista dual boot?
thread779-1376301

How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

See the related links on the same page -

Related stories
How to dual-boot Vista with XP (with XP installed first) - step-by-step guide with screenshots
How to dual-boot Vista with Linux (with Linux installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots
How to dual boot Linux and Windows XP (Linux installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots
Is SP3 really the end of the road for XP?
The definitive dual-booting guide: Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step

Most Linux Distros will install without any problem along side of VISTA, they resize the HDD and install in the freed up space...

for instance:

How to dual-boot Vista with Linux (Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Ben is absolutely right (as usual) though some folks have had problems unless they use Vista to resize the partitions to free space before installing Linux.

Apparently Vista's disk manager does have the ability to shrink as well as extend Vista partitions (yay). I have seen posts elsewhere which assert Vista's version of NTFS is not exactly the same as prev Windows versions. Can't say for sure as I have not dual booted Linux & Vista myself

Jock

I'm gradually getting the basic Vista install into useable shape for the family - installed a 64-bit version of F-Prot, removed the nagging Symantec built-in, downloaded IBM Symphony, and optimized the system for Performance instead of Appearance. also set up some family accounts, discovered the new to me feature, one family member can login without the previous one logging out - but you can't install software or remove software while that condition exists.
I note that Vista has an option for what system to boot next, though there's only one choice at the moment, so I'll see if I can find any provision inside Vista for gracefully hosting another OS. Does anyone have any Vista books to recommend ?

Fred Wagner

To be on the safe side, do use the VISTA Disk Manager to resize a partition... Jock thanks for the heads up...

I've had no problem with SuSE repartitioning or using GParted, but I agree others may have problems...

Ben

Thank you Linney - the reviews do sound like the Inside Out book is just what I need. I'll stop by Barnes & Noble or Borders this weekend! The chapters on using the multimedia applications will likely get used by my wife and son also.

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions!

Fred Wagner

so I'll see if I can find any provision inside Vista for gracefully hosting another OS
This is where VMware or VirtualPC come into play... Both will allow the installation of another OS under Windows in a virtual machine...

you can also install Hardy Heron (Ubuntu) under Vista, as an application, see:

WUBI - Ubuntu Installer for Windows

Ben

Ben -
WUBI looks very slick and uncomplicated - I'll give that a shot this weekend. I've tried Virtual PC before to run Win2K under XP, but it didn't solve the particular problem I was working on. My purpose here is just to get some experience with a Linux distro and interface - this will do -
Thanks for the pointer!

Fred Wagner

There are only 2 viable virtualisation options on Vista x64: VMWare Workstation 6 (payware) or VirtualBox (freeware). They both allow a large mix of different OS's, and VMWare also has very good hardware support, where vBox is a little less big improving withe very release.
The VPC stuff by MS baffled me every time I tried; so little features and slow performance, and bad compatibility, even with older Windows releases, yuck!

HTH
TonHu

Apart from lack of USB support with Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, I have found it to be one of the better pieces of software created by Microsoft, and the free price is a great attraction too. The secret to success with it may involve installing the Virtual PC Additions and having sufficient RAM for both client and host machine.

Tonhu, caution acknowledged! Linney - thanks for the encouragement. I tried downloading kubuntu over the weekend, but it hung at about 87MB, and went noplace for a couple of hours, so I'll get one of the books that comes with a CD, and see if I can install that in a virtual PC. meantime, I've promoted the Vista box to the primary PC for the rest of the family - 64-bit version of F-Prot, tweaked the registry to allow login to our Buffalo LANstation, got the current printer driver for our Samsun CLP-300, installed IBM Symphony, etc. Tonite I migrate their histories and favorites over, and make sure they copy the local files on the old machine to the server. And my son is a college student, so he's eligible for the student price on Office 2007. Life is good!

Fred Wagner

Dual booting is an option as shown as is virtual PC/VMware. I prefer VMware (5.5.3 as that's the one I have license for) over VPC especially when going to run Linux. VPC stinks for Fedora install, i.e. garbled graphics that I couldn't read. I load it up in VMware and works like a champ. MS still isn't playing nice with Linux no matter what they say.

As for Ubuntu, if you're putting it on a laptop you should be fine, if you're doing it on a desktop and have ANY raid configuration, don't bother. I was not able to get 8.04 installed on my RAID 0 configuration system/DAW dual boot XP Pro/Vista Ultimate 64. It installed fine but blew up on boot up. It doesn't understand "fakeraid"/software raid as they put it. I complained saying that's been around for a LONG time now and it should have been incorporated into Ubuntu by now. I'll stick with Red Hat Fedora releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back