Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual-boot apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brisco52

Technical User
Sep 22, 2002
US
I have a 40 gb hd with Win 98 as the operating system. I partitioned(Logical) the hd to dual-boot with Win XP as the other operating system. So now I have C:(Win 98) and D:(Win XP) and E:(data only). I have Norton System Works installed and running on my original hard drive, C:- Do I have to install a copy of NSW on my D:, also? Or when I am booted to D:, can I just put a shortcut icon on the desktop to the Norton System Works exe on my C:? Also, what about all my other apps? Do I have to install all of them to D: if I want to use them in XP? When I partitioned the D:(Win XP) drive, I made the file system fat32 and made it a logical partition, so I can see all drives and move freely between them. I just don't want to have 1 copy of each app on each drive if it's not necessary.

You will have to boot into WinXP and install everything separately. You could install the application in the same location that they are already installed on the C: drive (ie c:\program files\.....). I have done this in the past with success but the chances of having problems will increase greatly. To have the best system stability I would suggest just install the apps again on the d: drive. This will use extra hard drive space but with the size of drives these days that is not really a problem.

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."

--Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

Try the apps - some may run happily where they are, some may need files in XP's system folder (\windows\system32). The bigger & more complicated they are the more likely you will have to reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back