Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Boot and Partitions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKO

Programmer
Jan 8, 1999
GB
I am finding it incresingly difficult to get a dual boot between windows nt and 95. I have NT at the moment and have been told to boot to dos, I can't find the dos startup files and have a feeling there actually aren't any other than ntdos. I have tried forcedos on the setup command on the win95 cd but it says something about my disk. Could this be because it's fat32? There are conflicting reports about this. One is win95 CAN function with fat32 but won't recognise any partitions and treat the disk as one whole drive. The other version is, win95 simply won't install onto a fat32 formatted hard drive. Any suggestions? Sorry if i'm in the wrong forum, could you tell me where to go if I'm wrong please.

If you really want a pc which dual boots between different systems I would sugest using Partition Magic software and using a boot manager. Since Win95 and NT do not have true DOS and you need to have it, I would create 3 primary partitions (DOS, Win95, NT)and install Boot Manager so you will be able to choose which partition you want to boot to when starting up your pc. I hope this will give you some ideas.

Or you can modify the boot.ini file for nt to point to a win95 part if you use the proper arc paths. This should allow you to choose which system you wish to use when nt starts.

if i was you, i wouldnt know either, but luckily, i'm me, and i use boot magic from partition magic... <br><br>Problem solved!<br><br>Karl... <p> Karl<br><a href=mailto:mc_karl@yahoo.com>mc_karl@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> ~ ~ ~ ~<br>
K A R L<br>
~ ~ ~ ~

which version of win95 are you running i recommend checking with microsoft to see if it can read fat32 if not hopefully ur hard drive is partitioned for win95 and nt ust nt to reformat the 95 partition back to fat if its not partitioned then the only way is to reformat the entire drive and reformat it to fat16

Email me and tell me if it worked <p>Frazell Thomas<br><a href=mailto:frazell@flashcom.net>frazell@flashcom.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>A Certified Win98 And Mac Pro By Brainbench.com. Im still young only 15 if anyone can recommend or teach me to program email me please thanks

GKO,
Powerquest's bootmagic really works well, but not really neccesary. If win95 was installed first, you should have no problem booting into any of u'r o/s. Make sure the partition you intend to use nt on is a fat or ntfs file system. I've got pc at home running win95 &amp; nt without any probs.
I suggest backing up your files and start over to make sure things run smoothly in the future.

later

oh hell. only realized now this discussion started 2 years ago. pretty friggen sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back