Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dual Boot after installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjdobs

Programmer
Mar 11, 2002
CA
Is it possible to set up a dual boot after installing XP?

I have a machine that has two hard drives ... one loaded with XP Pro the other with win98 se ... the XP machine is the primary machine.

I attempted to just modify the boot.ini file but this didn't appear to work ... either I didn't enter the info correctly or there needs to be something else set as well?

Or do I need to reinstall XP from scratch???

This was mentioned on this forum not so long ago. Might be worth a read.

Dual boot to 98 after installing XP first
thread779-284874

Will be best to install both again.

I have done this many times.

1. Create 2 Primary partitions and set the first one active. This will then hide the second primary partition from being seen.

2. Create any extended partitions you may want so you can see drives from both operating systems.

3. Install windows 98 first into partition.

4. Once installed, reboot windows 98 into desktop.

5. Insert XP cd, and run install/setup from within windows 98.

6. From XP setup one of the windows options will give you the option to choose partition to install into. Tick this and continue setup. Also choose to copy installation files to hard disk.

7. Installation will continue...machine will reboot and you will see a boot menu for microsoft windows and microsft xp. choose xp to continue installation. You should now be able to choose which partition to install to, as the setup will show both primary partitions. Choose the second partition and continue install as normal.

8. Once setup and installed, reboot and VOILA you will have dual boot 98/XP.

Hope this helps.

Let me know how you get on.

Regarding last thread, as i misread the very first one.

format both hardrives as primary, and boot into windows 98 and continue as above from step 2.

Bjdobs,

Go to & download the free for personal use boot manager. Install it in XP, configure the boot menu (would recommend using the save to floppy option till you're happy its ok) & reboot. Both XP & 98 should then be available to you.

PS. You can change boot sequence in bios to boot from either hard drive (cumbersome but workable way of dual booting).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back