Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

du vs df

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitinkgoud

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2006
US
Hello,
du and df are giving some inconsistant results.
I thik that some files were deleted, but processes are still writing to them.
My question is how do we find these processes which are writing to the non exixting file.
I know that fuser -ck helps.......but can we find only those processes which are writing to the deleted files?

Please help.

lsof is the best way I know. You might be able to find some clues with pfiles on all of the processes, but unfortunately it doesn't give you filenames, only device numbers and inodes.

Why not lsof?

Annihilannic.

Annihilannic,
Can you give me the exact lsof command, the man file of lsof is too cryptic to understand. the file system in question here is /logs.
The only reason i am not comfertable with lsof is its not installed on all our servers.

Please help.

Just lsof /logs > /tmp/lsof.out (I usually redirect it to a file on Solaris because it takes so long to run. What version of Solaris by the way? I gather from another post that lsof does not behave on Solaris 10.

Once that's done, grep deleted /tmp/lsof.out to find the culprits.

Annihilannic.

Its 8.
Thanks a lot Annihilannic, thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back