Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTS Wizard SQL to Access 2000 fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctudose

Programmer
Nov 22, 2001
CA
Hi all,
I have a SQL Server table with 1.2 milion records.
All fields are char type with max record length 1066 bytes .
I need to export this table into Access 2000.I'm using DTS Wizard and after 500,000 records the process fails with an error:
".... Invalid argument"
The Access database reaches at this point maximum size 2GB.
If I export the table as a text file (size of the file 1.2GB) and then importing into Access , everything seems to be OK and the size of dbase is 600MB
I want to avoid exporting the table as a text file and then importing into Access.
Why DTS fails ??
Any suggestion woulg be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Cris

I cant help with why the db is reaching its maximum size, dont know too much about access, though does the data need to be stored in Access, could you not use access as the from end and link the tables to your sql server?

Matt

Brighton, UK

The output must go into Access 2000 format.
My question is why DTS Export Wizard fails and why the Access database reaches maximum size only after 500k records
My guess is that besides the data it also exports the properties of the table.
The same amount of information but coming fom a flat file it's stored into a 600 MB Access 2000 format.
Can somebody confirm how DTS Export is working ??

Thanks,
Cris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back