Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTS runs slowly when called from within DTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

plsh

Programmer
Mar 5, 2003
ZA
Good day,

I have a number of DTS packages and would like to schedule one DTS to run which will call each of these DTS's. I have set up the DTS that calls all the various other DTS's. When I run the DTS, the one calling the other DTS's, it takes almost 20 hours to run when it normally takes less than 20 minutes to run each of the other DTS's separately.

Does any one know what causes this and how to fix it, PLEASE!!!

Thanks

Hi all!

Hehe, cheeky me! [thumbsup]As i am experiencing the same problem think ill drag this post to the top!

[wiggle]

[pc3]
Adam [glasses]

Are the DTS packages dependant on one another to accomplish your task or can they be run w/in a Job each one being a seperate step?

Thanks

J. Kusch

The packages are dependant on each other as after each step it rights to a database and then calls the next dts package, so basically each package needs to be executed after completion of the previous package.

Regards

Can you not still put both DTS packages in a job. One package per step w/in the job. You can control wether the next package/step fires if there is an error.

Thanks

J. Kusch

Let me elaborate a bit more. As I said before I have one DTS package that executes 5 other DTS packages, each one been executed on completion of the previous one.

Each DTS package has similar processes but need to be separate. Within each package the following is done:
1. Database table is truncated
2. FTP of a file to the server
3. Bulk insert of the file into the table that was truncated
4. Using VB script I then do some manipulation of the data, loading parts of it into different tables, doing calculations and so on.
5. I then do a full process of a cube on our analysis server, can be up to 4 cubes that I process

Then that is pretty much it. Each step is executed on success of the previous step.

I hope this helps a bit more and you are able to help me.

Thanks
PLSH

Sorry one more thing. As I said above, the first step does a truncate of a table, but this is where the main problem is. It does not even do this for a long time. It appears that starting the actual dts is where the problem is. Is there a setting I may have to change in the Execute Package Task?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back