Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

OV

Programmer
Nov 4, 2002
US
Hi Everybody,

I am having problems with a DTS package that runs nightly. It is always the same error but it happens at different steps of the process and at different times. It happens on average of once or twice a week. The rest of the time it runs fine. Some of the steps where it has failed are simply rebuilding tables within the database and have nothing to do with the network. We are on SQL server 7.0
The error that I get is:

Step Error Description:Unspecified error
(Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server (80004005): [DBNETLIB][ConnectionRead (recv()).]General network error. Check your network documentation.)
Step Error code: 80074005
Step Error Help File:sqldts.hlp
Step Error Help Context ID:1100

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks, OV

Just a thought...

Sounds like the connection is lost.

Could a Database back up be scheduled to run at the time you are running your rebuilds that would put a Database lock on? That may cause your process to time out causing the connection problem.

Rasanders, thanks for the sugestion. However, after looking at the logs, it appears that backups were done way before DTS package started to execute.
OV

I had a similar problem. Same error when transferring a lot of data. Managed to get a work around by cutting down the amount of data. Not sure if this would be possible for you. Could you transfer the bigger amounts of data in multiple blocks?

dyarwood,
It seems that while the database is getting bigger, the problem happens more frequently. However, the problem ocurrs at different steps, some of which are not transfering any data.
OV

If you are accessing a remote server then the connection will still have to be made while the DTS package is being run. If you can run some DTS packages on the destination server than the source server then this will help reduce the problem. You can use the Operator to kick off jobs of remote servers. (However I've not done this yet).

I guess, I should ask another question here: Besides the error log file within the DTS package, is there another way to log the errors? That may give me a little more information that I can use.

As this is a network error you might want to check out the link when you are sending lots of information and when you are not. When we were having these problems we pinged the destination machine and found that packages were being dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back