Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTS - Novice ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theseekers

Technical User
Jul 22, 2004
US
Hi Tekers,

I posted this question on the regular forum for SQL before I found this so if I did double post, please forgive me....

Anyway, I am try to move a database from 1 server to another and the DTS failed. As far I can can see the problem was in one of the store producedure that references a table which was deleted (test).

My question is: does dts check or exam the store procedures/views before it allow the copying process to go forward.

If someone can help me to understand a little bit more on the process, I would really appreciated.

TIA

Do you not normally backup the database and then restore it to the new server rather than using DTS?

Hi Navshiv,

I always do a backup (just in case) before moving the database . I just want to use DTS to do this so I can learn a little bit more with this tools.

In this case, I am just curious why backup/restore works and DTS failed and just want to know when using DTS, does it actually run the sp or view (integrity check, i guessed) before it allows the sp or view to be copied over.

Any help is appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back