Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTS like function in 6.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveR77

Programmer
Sep 18, 2000
US
Here is my puzzle.

I need to have a DTS like function in SQL Server 6.5 to port data into a MS Access database.

I'm attempting to keep my solution clean, but do not have the option of upgrading the server software so I have the use of the DTS in 7.0, and I have no information on SQL Server 6.5 because everything I have worked with has been related to the 7.0 version.

Thanks for your assistance,

X-) This one is making me nuts! X-)

Steve~
[sig][/sig]

Why not approach this from the reverse: connect to the database from Access and bring the data in that way. [sig]<p>Robert Bradley<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= - Visual FoxPro Development</a><br> [/sig]

Robert,

I have considered that but that creates the problem of porting static data from Access back into anotherAccess database. What I need is the dynamic data from the SQL server because that is where the other application that is being used stores the data by default.

The real issue here is having flexibility to query the SQL data in a dynamic fashion, and yes SQL Server 7.0 would handle that issue as well, but my hands are tied when it comes to having the software upgraded.

Thanks for your reply,

Steve~ [sig][/sig]

Let me say right at the start, Steve: my experience with Access is very limited. But IIRC you can execute dynamic queries in Access against SQLS, so it wouldn't have to be a scheduled thing - in other words, the user, when needing the data, could press a button that executes a query and brings back up-to-the-minute data.

Or are we talking about a huge amount of data here? [sig]<p>Robert Bradley<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= - Visual FoxPro Development</a><br> [/sig]

What about setting up another server running 7.0 without upgrading your current production server. Then use the new server only for the DTS product.

Jim [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back