Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTS Import of Foxpro DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

CliveW

Technical User
Aug 19, 2002
GB
Hi,
I'm trying to import a Foxpro database into SQL2K, I have come across a problem trying to import 1 table. It has 15 fields and fails to import anything more than 790 rows at a time. The error message is dbdatetime overflow error. I have 325000 rows to import and don't want to do them in small chunks. If I omit the DOB(smalldate) column out of the import then all the rows will be imported without a problem. Can anyone help with the conversion from foxpro date format field to a sqlserver 2000 smalldate format.

Thx Clive

Hi Clive -
I believe the problem here is that ODBC is interpreting the foxpro dates as smalldatetime - at least this is the case for me here. You'll need to change the datatype of the destination table on your SQL server to datetime.
Hope that helps.

thx have just tried that and still errors

"The number of failing rows exceeds the maximum specified insert error, column 12('dob', DBTYPE_DBTIMESTAMP), status 6: data overflow. Invalid character value for cast specification."

Hmmm... not sure what else could be the problem. My experience with ODBC and foxpro tables has been this:
Any foxpro date field that does not allow nulls but is empty will be interpreted by ODBC as a default date of 12/30/1899 (this is by design - go figure). When you try to import this date into SQL, it is interpreted as a smalldatetime data type but it will fail because smalldatetime types will only accept values between 01/01/1900 through 06/06/2079. Everytime I have experienced the above error, this has been the case. I suppose its possible that you have another issue that is causing the exception. Usually SQL will return the row number that it failed on - see if you can review the data in that row to determine the exact problem. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back