Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTS global variable issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

SqlHunter

Programmer
Jun 3, 2004
US
Iam using a DTS package:
I have 2 database and 2 tables
I have to insert data from database1 (Table1) to database2(table2)

conditions:
1. I have to get the max(emp_id) from source table(table1) and assign it to a global variable and then use this query:
select * from table1 where emp_id < (global value)
2.Now I have insert this recordset to the table2 of database2
3.Now Delete the dataset from table1 where emp_id<(global variable value)

Now I need to schedule this process since every now and then there will be entry to table1 and i have to insert the dataset till the maximum id value to the table2 and then delete those from table 1.

I used a execute sql task task for passing the global variable.

could you do this with a few bits of SQL within your DTS (rather than the conventional transformation mechanism)?

1. insert into tableB values (Select * from tableA where empid < (select max(empID from tableA)))

2. delete from tableA where empid < (select max(empID from tableA))

or does the data change too fast? (in which case you could put a temporary table step in between and delete from tableA based on the contents of that - e.g. delete from tableA where empid <= (select max(empID from tableC)))

hth

yes the data changes fast and I need to use a DTS and schedule it for a particular time interval.So I need that global variable to be passed

Finally i reached to a better stage.....
1. Used select Max in the execute sql task and declared a global variable as an output parameter where it is used in the next select statement select.....where emp_id <=? (in the connection between 2 databases)and passed the global variable as an input variable now it works fine
2.Now used another execute sql task to delete whatever is transfered from the source as delete.....where emp_id <=?..Here also passed the global variable.
3.So now the sequence works perfectly.

Now I have an issue where if there is a problem with the delete statement like foriegn constraint or something like that I want to roll back the process.Is that possible and how will I capture that error..Can we use the transactions in DTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back