Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTS export view from SQL2005 to SQL2k - possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWkndr

Programmer
May 1, 2002
US
A database was recently moved to a new SQL2005 server. I had previously set up a view and a job to export it to my SQL2k server so I could use the data in several places. I am not even a SQL2k expert, so SQL2005 is pretty new to me. I need to set up a transfer of data somehow to my SQL2k server.
Previously, I used a DTS job to export the data and a sproc to distribute it from there. I tried setting it up through the export but it will not allow it.

Is this possible through DTS. And for that matter what is DTS called in SQL2005?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TheWkndr
Braccae tuae aperiuntur...

Yes you can do this through DTS. Take your existing DTS package, change the server name to the new SQL 2005 server name (if needed) and save the package to the SQL 2000 server and schedule it to run. Make sure that someone sets up the username and password on the SQL 2005 machine that you need to use to connect to it.

DTS has been replaced by SQL Server Integration Services.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

It tells me I must connect to this (new) server via SQL Management Studio.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TheWkndr
Braccae tuae aperiuntur...

Correct, Enterprise Manager can not connect to SQL 2005. That doesn't mean that DTS can not connect to SQL 2005. Connect to the SQL 2000 server and save the package there. Then setup a connection within the DTS package to connect to the SQL 2005 machine to pull the data from the SQL 2005 machine.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back