Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DTS and no-touch-deployment 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzer123

IS-IT--Management
Nov 24, 2003
GB
I have a win form app that I would like my users to access through a URL and no touch deployment. However the big problem I am having is that my app needs to use some DTS .dlls and resource files. When i try to acces my app from the url I get an error that the dlls its looking for aren't registerd (and there clearly not, there sitting on a web server 2 floors below).

Does anyone know of a way I can get round this problem. Someone else in my office had some bizare idea of having the app xcopy and register the files from a batch file or command line when the program starts up (the guys a bit of an idiot though and it doesn't sound workable or very sensible to me). Any ideas?

When people like your officemate think of "No Touch Deployment" ... they are thinking of something that was broken but is now fixed... and they haven't the slightest idea what was broken or how it was fixed... Whatever it is stays in service but your officemate screams "No Touch!" if anyone gets too close to it because he fears it will break again.

No idea what Sheco is talking about.

I googled arround a bit and found this site:

Nothing specic other then:

Advanced installation operations are required, such as when a driver or data provider must be installed, or a COM object must be registered.

What that means, I'm not sure. You may have to build a deploy package that registers the dlls and deploy that.

-Rick

----------------------

[monkey] I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

I am having the same issue. I created an assembly for dtspkg.dll and successfully registered that on the target machine (using the instructions here: ), but I still get the unregistered message when trying to run the DTS package via the application. Even though the message stated that the assembly registered, I don't see the expected entries in the target machine's registry. I'm sure I'm leaving some simple step out, but Sys Admin is ready to just install SQL on the target machine. (The application works on machines that have SQL installed.)

Running applications from the web puts them in an isolated area, which most likely includes a secured private registry. You might want to look into the security aspect of no-touch deployements.

-Rick

----------------------

[monkey] I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

Does anyone know if there is an article like the one udo321 posted above that relates to VB .Net, I cant seem to find one but it might help with another issue i'm having.

With regards to this problem, I've decided to write a web based asp .net app that can sit on our intranet and contains the link 'Prepare PC' clicking here will download and register all necessary dll's for all of our apps running through no touch deployment. If any one has a better less contrived solution i'll be pleased to here it.

Thanks all for you help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back