Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dtpad printing from CDE and HP-UX 11.11i

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrp

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2002
US
I have an HP-UX 11.11i machine that has a printer defined:

% lpstat -a
ptrbw01 accepting requests since Dec 10 13:04

I have the CDE desktop configured for LP printing:

% cat /etc/rc.config.d/desktop
# CDE Desktop enabled Tue Dec 9 14:55:50 2008
DESKTOP=CDE
DTPRTSVR=LP

However, dtpad doesn't recognize the printer correctly, do a File.. Print from it and the print dialog appears. I type in the printer name, click Print and:

"An X print server for <printer_name> could not be found."

If I click "More Printers" I get the error:

"Unable to find any printers"

How can I get dtpad to recognize and print to working lp printers?

Thanks!
Randy

You have to install a new printer for the system. Use sam for this job. If you have the printer on a local port it is even simpler.

IF you have an HP printer then it has all the drivers you need. If you have a dotmatrix printer then the dumb driver should work. Part of the setup in setting a printer is to give it a name say lp1

having set up the printer test the printer say using lp -dlp1 /etc/inittab to print say the inittab file.

IF this works go to dtpad , click on print and in the Printer field enter the name of the printer say lp1 in our case.

That's all .. you will then print from dtpad..

When this works for you thank Stefan Saliba. It is from his post on dtpad on HPUX 11.

Best of luck

Thank you, Stefan Saliba!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back